Welcome to Drs Russell, Clokey & McShane
Cadzow Health Centre
Monday to Friday 8am - 6 pm
Tel No: 01698 327028
District Nurse 0300 3030263 Health Visitor 01698 723161
Cadzow Health Centre, 187 Low Waters Road, Hamilton, Lanarkshire ML3 7QQ
SEEING THE RIGHT PERSON AT THE RIGHT TIME
There are a lot of situations where a face to face appointment with the doctor is not required as your problem can be dealt with more appropriately in another way:
For sexual health and contraception advise
Advise and counselling about managing of stress
Self referral number for minor musculo skeletal problems
Advise about financial problems
Free NHS Optician for all acute eye problems
You may not always need to see a GP to deal with your problem. Indeed, many problems may improve with time and simple remedies. Sore throats and coughs, for example, can be expected to last over a week, as long as you are not becoming more ill or breathless. There is good information available on the internet via NHS Inform www.nhsinform.co.uk or call 0800 224488 (8am – 10pm).
- For common ailments such as coughs, colds, 'flu', sore throats,cold sores, nasal congestion, hay fever, back ache, athlete's foot, constipation, period pain, thrush, threadworms and warts or verrucae, your community pharmacy can give you advice. Your pharmacist can give you medicine on the NHS without you having to pay for it under the minor ailments scheme.
- NHS 24 111 offer telephone health advice and an information service where you can talk confidentially to nurses or health information advisers
- If you suffer from an exacerbation of a chronic disease i.e. an illness that cannot be cured but symptoms can be treated such as asthma, COPD or diabetes, the practice nurses can help you manage your symptoms.
- Emergency contraception is available at most community pharmacies
- The practice nurses can offer advice on stopping smoking or you can refer yourself directly for smoking cessation (0300 3030 242 or 0800 848 484)
- For dental problems, you should see a dentist. If you are not registered with a dentist, contact our Community Primary Care Department on 01236 707711or select the following dental provider online link http://www.nhslanarkshire.org.uk/Services/Oral/Pages/default.aspx
COMMUNITY PHARMACISTS operate a MINOR AILMENTS service for children, over 60s and patients in receipt of certain benefits. This covers advice and free treatment (if needed) for a variety of minor illnesses and complaints such as acne, athlete’s foot, backache, cold sores, constipation, cough, diarrhoea, earache, eczema and allergies, haemorrhoids (piles), hayfever, headache, head lice, indigestion, mouth ulcers, nasal congestion, pain, period pain, thrush, sore throat, threadworms, warts and verrucae.
FOR EYE PROBLEMS YOUR FIRST PORT OF CALL SHOULD BE THE OPTOMETRIST
An OPTOMETRIST. is the best person to assess urgent eye problems, check for eye disorders and treat eye conditions. They have the professional training and necessary equipment to assess most eye problems.
Many local optometrists are part of the Lanarkshire Eye-health Network Scheme (LENS) :-
Name of Practice
Contact Tel No
Optomeyes, Fullwood Ind Est, Burnbank
Hornstein S&E Opticians, Quarry St
McMenamin Opticians, Quarry St
Specsavers, Quarry St
Martin Yuill Opticians, South Vennel
Hughs & McHugh, Bannatyne St
Simpsons Opticians, Union St
Specsavers, Brandon Parade
As part of LENS they can offer an appointment and assessment service for any concerns you may have with the health of your eyes or eye injuries including: red eye, sore eye, deterioration of eyesight or any other disturbance of eyesight.
JOINT, MUSCLE OR BACK PAIN
You can phone 0800 917 9390 for JOINT, MUSCLE OR BACK problems to be given advice or to be referred to PHYSIOTHERAPIST without attending the surgery.
ALWAYS CALL 999 IF SOMEOME IS SERIOUSLY ILL OR INJURED AND THEIR LIFE IS AT RISK.
(Site updated 19/07/2016)